For the month of February, we are celebrating the School Mental Health Award with SAS! As part of our comprehensive Whole School Wellbeing service, we offer the School Mental Health Award to insured schools.
92% of schools agreed that the award created a more positive school culture for pupils.
Sponsored by SAS, the Carnegie Mental Health Award from the Carnegie School of Education aims to provide resilience, Mental Health and Wellbeing to the wider school community. This award takes a community approach to mental health providing a framework to evidence policies and initiatives that work towards improving mental health and wellbeing for both staff and pupils.
The award takes a whole school approach to mental health and covers eight key competencies including organisational structure and culture, support for staff and pupils and working with parents and carers.
What are the benefits to attaining the award?
• Creates a culture of an awareness of mental health, tolerance and acceptance. Helping to reduce behavioural problems and promotes positive mental health strategies.
• An opportunity for the school to identify its own priorities and areas for development using the framework.
• Addresses the needs of all mental health needs of your community including pupils and staff.
• Increases staff retention rates meaning continuity of care and helps attract high calibre staff.
• Allows specific professional development opportunities for all levels of staff whether house based or as part of a whole school team.
The award process allows schools to make mental health and wellbeing a guided strategic priority for school development. The school will develop an implementation plan and guide the school community through a process of building the skills and knowledge needed to bring about whole school improvements in mental health and wellbeing.
83% of schools agreed that the award led to improved pupil wellbeing
If you are an SAS staff absence insurance customer and would like to learn more about accessing the award for your school, please contact your account manager who will provide you with further details on accessing this programme.
The School Mental Health award is included in SAS policies as standard. If you are interested in accessing the Mental Health Award please contact us for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org or 01773 814400.